Monday, March 2, 2015

Getting the Knack/Only in NJ: Despite the Siberian conditions, a good winter for “senior coffee”

This follows up the third installment in this mini-series. [Edit 3/3/15.]

Sometimes others’ jumped-to assumptions about you are your friend. Which doesn’t happen very often (certainly in the general area where I live).

Since my February 12 update of that earlier entry, I have gotten a senior discount at a few local fast-food places about half-a-dozen times. Without expressly claiming I’m a senior. It is usually at a McDonald’s in Franklin Borough, Sussex County, N.J., or a Dunkin Donuts I like to go to in Orange County, N.Y. And usually it is young people (twenty-somethings) who make the assessment I’m a senior.

But just the other day, February 27, it happened at a Dunkin Donuts where it hadn’t happened before, one in Morris County, N.J., that I frequently go to. Again, a twenty-something bestowed the favor, and she is one who has waited on me several times before, never before assessing me as a senior.

As empirical observation and easy inferences tell me, all it takes is having grey whiskers, now maybe two-and-a-half weeks’ worth, that may be as awe-provoking a sight of fuzziness as is covering anything that would emerge butt-first out of a hole in the ground, eyes blinking dazedly, after three months of hard winter.

So little else has been required. No AARP magazine under my arm. No low singing of a classic Sinatra tune or something from Guys and Dolls. No muttering the likes of “I have my good days and my bad days” or “You [young person addressed] should value your health when you have it, because when you get to be my age….” (Actually, declined health is an issue for me, but not of the severity of seniors’.) Just the sight of me clinches the deal (and the crazy, grey winter hat helps).

Who says you can’t get a break in this country?

##

Here’s another thing I need not do to get the small favor of the senior discount. You may remember the routines in Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In where Arte Johnson, as the shuffling old man with overcoat and wild white hair clamped down with a hat, approaches Ruth Buzzi as the docile, homely old woman with hair pasted down with a hair net. She’s been sitting on a park bench, and he sits next to her before uttering his spiel. He would say something that offends her (and makes us laugh) and she starts swatting him repeatedly with her purse.

Well, one routine had him shuffle up to her, sit on the park bench too close to her, and in his insinuating, muttering voice, him saying, “Do you believe in the hereafter?” At which she, compliantly, nods yes. “Then,” he says, “you know what I’m here after.”

At which, in high dudgeon, she would rise and start swatting him repeatedly with her purse.

Well, I don’t need to engage in that routine, either.