Monday, March 16, 2015

Getting the Knack/Only in NJ: Beard gone, end of the “senior coffee” season

Finally shaved; “Summer Lite” series ahead; my social-media “footprint” (re Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter)

[Edits 3/17/15. Edits 3/19/15.]
.
A few notes. Some of this may seem "a bit much," but it will let those interested understand more why my blog posts aren’t compatible with on-the-fly, young-American smartphone consciousness, but instead may strike some as about as fleet-footed and party-ready as a bulldozer.

But here, as elsewhere, you may be interested to know that the rationale for action may seem “involved” at first, but shows there was more method than expected in the apparent madness.


No more face looking like “I’m unemployed”

Several mornings ago, on March 12, I finally shaved off my beard. It took work. There were about three to four weeks of whiskers, and in some past year or two, I had already cut off a fairly full beard and knew the process was tough, but for me this was the toughest effort yet.

(Strangely, getting a senior discount [see this entry] because of my appearance was happening decreasingly often, almost as if the coming of spring made me look less pathetic and needing a tiny money break. Arctic February was really the prime time for the senior discount for me. Lately, I wondered if I looked less like “an old man needing a kindly break on the cost of his elixir-coffee” and more like a schnook who was merely less-than-fully-employed [which latter, of course, was closer to the truth].)

As I could only remove sections of beard at a time (and it took three already-used disposable razors to do it), I went through stages (as I struggled over a whisker-stained sink, and with inconvenient distribution of shaving cream) of looking alternatively like (1) someone who could turn up in a religious venue of the type presided over by bearded sorts and plausibly look like someone who could lead the meeting; (2) a magician, or vendor (with foreign accent and American-jovial manner) serving some steaming-hot delight from a street-side food cart; and, eventually, (3) more like myself. (Take your pick as to which looked best by many people’s standards.)

But now (March 12), beard newly off, my lower face looked smaller than before. With my beard, I got used to seeing a chunkier jawline (not that that looked so very great). Now I looked somewhat as if I’d been through a period of being sick, or as if I’d just had an operation connected to my face. Either of which, in a way, was true. [Update 3/19/15: I still got a discount on coffee at a McDonald's yesterday; no beard, so it must have been the seedy winter hat. That hat is a true useful tool--a coupon for coffee discounts in the winter.]


Warm-weather blog plans

I’ve gotten away from posting signposts about blog plans, to some extent. But for those interested, probably starting in May, I will do a “Summer Lite” review series again, on films ordinarily requiring little thought to watch, and hopefully meaning a lot of fun. For instance, I’m thinking of doing all three of the Austin Powers films.


Connecting with me

For weeks, I’ve debated and formulated ideas toward saying the following (apart from the issue of my two blogs not allowing comments): To those who have some notion of connecting with me in other social media, a little helpful note:


Facebook. I have a Facebook page, which I try to use as little as possible. I restrict my “footprint” there—in number of “friends,” and stuff I do there—so much that I don’t even include my sister among the “friends” (which she has puzzled about, understandably enough), though she’s a “connection” with me on LinkedIn (where she is definitely less active). Regarding whomever, I have my hands full enough of other stuff (online or otherwise), so I keep a tight lid on my Facebook activity. Meanwhile, among others I don’t know, there are some who have known me for years (their familiar faces turn up in the list of people suggested for new “friending”) who, it seems, Facebook’s algorithms are apt to recommend—and whether or not these people are (in their own right) really interested, please do not take it personally I don’t “friend” you. Or if I consider it at some point, the decision process may be complex and delayed.


LinkedIn. A similar thing (with more solid rationale) can be said about my LinkedIn page, which I am much more interested in. On occasion I “connect” with new people there; but especially with LinkedIn, which I take much more seriously than Facebook, my selection process for connections is careful. But also, the reason why I connect with some and not others can be (to me) so much a weird judgment call that a given instance can seem to violate my own usual considerations (and, really, strongly held preferences) on that sort of thing. In short, some of my LinkedIn connections are people I don’t really know well, while others who may want to connect with me I have known well in the past. Does connecting with relative unknowns make sense? It is a very peculiar area.

For now, a few general pointers:

* Don’t take it personally if I don’t connect with you, or am slow to. I try to limit some activity on LinkedIn, but not as radically as on Facebook. Regarding LinkedIn mainly, I am rather active in second-guessing why I have already connected with some people, but the original reason I connected with them at all is that—according somewhat with the general (and rather naïve) notion in social media that connecting “can only mean good”—I decided in specific instances there was some good rationale to it (and I won’t be more specific here).

* Some people I have connected with, I have thought I could dis-connect with. Not likely, but possible.

* More generally, I come from a time and region of the professional world where who you “allied” with, grew to know, grew to depend on, etc., was very much a function of prior footwork, hard efforts in scouting up new work, sheer chance, developing trust over time, the sheer good graces of relevant individuals, and the generally “far less connected” world we had then. (I am talking about various kinds of traditional publishing here, not the different animal of medical promotions. And I am not talking about the arena of trade books, which for me [especially when I wrote to editors directly, not using a literary agent] always involved different ways of “pitching myself” and working with potential “patrons,” and was always an area very walled-off from my more hands-on, walkabout publishing work.)

It was all like being a bear that knew where to find the good grub by its sheer dogged, filthy footwork—meaning (in the bear’s case) blisters, getting slammed on the head by dumpster lids, getting shooed away by broom-wielding restaurant owners, etc. Meanwhile, if a bear could use social media to find where all to get “eats” (maybe limited by the bear's ability to access a delivery) (with this media function like that real-life app, advertised on TV, that now allows you to order takeout via a smartphone), the bear situation for us humans might be a little hairier than it is now. As it is, the bears amble around, and get into things only as their four shanks, instincts, and energy, and blind chance, allow.

(The way nice work opportunities could come up in the old days I will illustrate, hopefully not long from now, in a blog entry—probably under the “Running with the bulls” heading—that will look at my experience of working for several months, in-house, on a huge project at one major educational publisher back in the 1990s. I think people will find this entry interesting, in part for its having a possible bit of a topical relevance today, but it will take some time for me to get fully together. Also, I got interested in doing this because I found some old letters related to this gig, and these give a good insight into regional differences among editorial workers—such as [some corrections here] a man with whom I worked, [a low-level communications professor] from Alaska, who would move to Kansas [his family was originally from Washington State, I think], with him in 1997-98 getting used to some of the ways of New Jersey.)

More specifically, in the 1990s, as continued explanation for my modern “reserve”: I scouted up work in very dogged fashion (usually by mail)—and (on a different matter) I didn’t go through my publishing travails in the 1990s looking to make enemies (I think I was good at developing work skills on a remarkably rocky road). Nevertheless, as a general matter (and I wasn’t alone in discovering this), you eventually found that some people became totally “on the outs” with you, either from their side or from your side, whether or not for solidly good reasons (or good reasons considered years later). Today, in this online age, when I see that some of the people who, a decade or more ago, made sharply angled accusations of me, or otherwise became quite alienated from me, now turn up in my fulsome “People You May Know” list on LinkedIn, I have to wonder, is this appearance due to their merely checking me (my LinkedIn page) out (nosily or not)? Or are LinkedIn’s algorithms apt to “be stupid” in fishing out these people as potential connections when, last I knew anything about them (and not that LinkedIn could know this), they had written me off as unspeakably beyond the pale? [Added 3/19/15: Two good examples, so you see I'm not full of BS: One "name card," as I like to call it, has been in for many months, of Maddy C., co-owner of All American Crafts. I worked there 1990-91; last had any sort of potential-pay business with them, re a freelance article, in about 1994 or 1995. My experience there through 1991 ended up scalding and highly informative; it's been many years, and bygones are generally bygones there. And I never had any issue with Maddy; in fact, her husband, one owner, offered to write me a letter of reference, which was not at all likely to come from Cam, who was responsible for my leaving. But I haven't dealt with AAC for roughly 20 years. So it's odd if Maddy is checking out my LinkedIn stuff, but not intolerable of course, and not "threatening" in any way. But curious, and not at all something that would have happened in the 1990s. Second example: a name card for Maria Siano, whom I did a blog entry on in spring 2013, was in my big PYMK list for a long time, and it disappeared after my blog entry appeared. My feelings about her are somewhat ambivalent but generally positive. Things got weird with her in about 2000, after in 1999 I left North Jersey Newspapers, where we worked together. Would she likely link with me? Probably not. Was she snooping on my LinkedIn page? Possibly. Problem? Not necessarily. But again, ethically a little odd compared to pre-Internet business realities and mores.]

(This may seem like a fussy point, but to me it seems quite lacking in good taste and good sense the way social media algorithms in LinkedIn can suggest connections between people where, pre-2005-or-so, these people could well have not wanted to give each other the time of day after a decisively-alienating work brouhaha. And don’t ask about forgiveness. In general, it’s not relevant in the publishing industry, especially in the examples of other workers, usually managers, that I’ve seen—again, the area of the media I’m talking about is that of hands-on, craft-is-important, walk-in publishing work, not trade books or medical promotions.)

Along this dimension alone, the social media “ethos” of “Only connect!” is ghastly-naïve, whether from the side of LinkedIn’s algorithms or (here and there, among individuals) some people’s expansive connection-mania. It ignores the reality of such work worlds as the print media, where bitter office politics shape so much of the ongoing “stage” you’re working on, and can shape your prospects for getting work in the future.

This is to say nothing of the fact that those people in certain areas of the media who have several-hundred connections: Are these connections really close associates of theirs? Could the seemingly proud holders of the connections borrow money from them (from any of up to 90-95 percent of them) for lunch on rare days? I would doubt it.

Anyway, most of my LinkedIn connections (1) I know well in some way, and/or (2) I have had good work experiences with in the past, and/or (3) I worked with 10 years ago or more. Or (4) I know them from another past “in the trenches” situation; or (5) they are family; or (6) they were someone I encountered at a workplace years ago, with me not working closely with the person, but the person was willing to connect with me more recently for perhaps some other reason than our practically being associated today.

In short, my LinkedIn group is small but (per my will) more able to grow than my Facebook group, and my criteria for connecting on LinkedIn is a bit thorny (for me) at times, but usually coherent and something I want to be comfortable with.

Again, don’t take my choice to connect (or lack thereof) personally.


Twitter. As for not having a Twitter account (there is/was an account for a “gregorybludwig” that could be found on Google searches, which started in about 2012 and seems to be from me, but which is a fake, not mine, while I haven’t made an issue of it until now): I can theoretically, believe it or not, post tiny messages (I already do so on Facebook), but one huge reason I don’t have a Twitter account is that that platform really requires you to be ready to go online—to respond to some brushfire, or sudden bubbling-up of wonderfulness tied to your posts—very quickly (wherever you are), which I can’t practically do.

I’m very selective as to when I’m online, so I try to make my chances for online business count; and anyway, in organizing my life right now, limiting my being online is very healthy. It helps both me and you. So, among other consequences, no Twitter for me.