Monday, November 21, 2016

Leftovers, 4*: Further follow-up on Prentice Hall, Part 2

[For my European Union readers: Here is further comment related to the Blogger change whereby your region is notified of its rights concerning “cookies” placed during Internet traffic. See this earlier entry about this on this blog, in the note up top. This blog is not meant to be a directly effective commercial enterprise, and I do not intentionally allow the ability to put cookies on your computer or other Internet browsing device. Google (provider of Blogger) has its own aims in this regard, which is noted in its own banner, complete with links, at the top of this blog as displayed in the European Union. For this blog, the only way you could get cookies beyond Google’s (and I can’t guarantee how or when this might happen) would be from going to links I include in my blogs, which are generally for reference purposes, like footnotes backing up claims or explaining points further. Two of the main online entities I do this with are Wikipedia (provided by the nonprofit Wikimedia Foundation) and the document-storage service Google Drive (when I include links to documents that I provide from within accounts of my own). Other linked-to entities that I use for reference purposes include IMDB (the Internet Movie Database), occasionally legally-related sites, and a few others. If any of these third-party sites places cookies, that is nothing I would ordinarily control. If you have concerns about this cookie-placing matter, I would advise (1) not going to those linked-to sites (some browsers allow you to see preliminarily the URL involved, by your moving the cursor over the link, without clicking on it) or, (2) without guarantee of a quick reply or a ready resolution, your contacting me with your concerns, at the e-mail address grludwig@warwick.net or tomage35@gmail.com. Thank you for your understanding, and I don’t anticipate commenting on this issue further.]

* See End note.

[Edits 11/23/16. Edit 12/2/16.]

Part 1 of my follow-up to my 2015 series on Prentice Hall is on my other blog, here. The bulk of the story is there (and details there help this entry make more sense). I don’t want to fully cover my experience with Prentice Hall Higher Ed, as I worked for it in 2001 and 2002, for reasons hinted at in Part 1, but I decided to include a few nuggets on my other blog.

For this blog, adding notes here is an excuse to include the disclaimer above for European Union readers, which I really owe them.

What else say about the PH Higher Ed experience? I remarked in a blog entry within the past few weeks (in my CPG series, actually) of someone being skeptical of my doing editorial work for books by professors. This was a condescending and wrongheaded reaction, though the person generally (I knew him for years) wasn’t ill-intentioned to me (among other things, he was of an older generation than I). The actual editing I did of the supplement books was on the light side, and I used judgment that I, of course, had well developed in editing from 1990 through 2001, including on medically related material.

A few tidbits: There was a philosophy professor who wrote a logic textbook’s associated workbook. For these workbooks, often the content could be about the same from year to year, with sometimes minor updates; the logic workbook, I recall, was so unchanged that the material for it (essentially what is called a “mechanical”) that we handled looked old and shopworn—basically, for most or all supplement books, pages of the editorial content were stuff printed out by the professors, as if with MS Word, and we at PH added title pages and copyright pages with our own PageMaker or Quark machinery; and the whole set of pages was sent to be printed via photo-offset means from the professors’ pages used as mechanicals (this is techno-speak meaning, roughly, that the books were printed as if by a glorified photocopying means, from the printouts as if you could do them at Staples or Kinko’s).

Someday maybe I can show a pdf of part of one of these books, to show you what I mean. I have several of these PH supplements at home.

Anyway, I remember, Ginny Livsey, my superior, called the philosophy professor a tough “son of a B,” meaning he brooked no shit. I thought at the time, this was just as well; though PH Higher Ed was generally good to work for, with the ways the supplement books could be handled so much like afterthoughts, if a professor stood his or her ground with strong will-power, with an eye to quality of the books, I would have said, “All power to him or her.” But I had the feeling from Ginny that this particular prof was a bit of a bastard (because he was rather too demanding). I don’t know all the details of why, to know who was right or not.

Another professor, for a fine arts supplement (about introductory drawing), left a bit to be desired. She had written the supplement, and I had proofread it (I didn’t do this for all supplements; other proofreaders did some), and I had made notes to correct some things, such as what is called (grammar-wise) a “false parallel.” This is actually a pretty common writing error, and is usually easy to fix.

One example you may hear a lot on TV is with Big Pharma ads where you hear “Don’t use X if you’re nursing, pregnant, or plan to become pregnant.” What is the problem with this? It isn’t major, but there is a switch of the verb form from the first two predicate parts—“…nursing” and “…pregnant”—to the third, “plan to become pregnant.” So here, omitting a verb for “pregnant” is actually a mistake, because it is assumed the verb is “are,” but the only way you would omit the verb for that predicate part is if the same verb applies to all three modifying words/phrases: “are nursing,” “are pregnant,” and “are planning to become pregnant,” if that last was the wording in the sentence.

How to fix? To this: “Don’t use X if you’re nursing, are pregnant, or plan to become pregnant.” Or to: “Don’t use X if you’re nursing, pregnant, or planning to become pregnant.” A simple thing. And this is what copy editors are supposed to be on the lookout for, and usually can fix without incident, if allowed to do their jobs without distrust about what they’re doing. But for people who think they are perfect writers and are not, a big kerfuffle can ensue when it need not.

In the case of this art prof—art teachers often aren’t great writers anyway, I’ve found—the false parallel she did (I can’t fully remember the sentence, but I know the form of the error [update 12/2/16: See the top of the entry on my other blog with this date, to see an example of the type of error]) could be fixed by including an “and” and an extra comma in her sentence, which eliminated the problem. But she made a veritable stink as if this wasn’t necessary at all, and seemed to hint I was less than competent.

I discussed this issue with a higher-level, staff editor at PH, and the editor agreed with me. He or she said this prof would be dropped as supplement author for the next year (the one grammatical issue I’ve discussed wasn’t the only problem the art prof posed).

I was glad to have helped in that regard. See, even us lowly copy editors—in concert with staff editors—can get “professor authors” booted from a fold like PH’s; and as I recall, this particular prof was one at a community college; she was not an especially prestigious prof. (If she got similar work with another publisher, fine for her. Chancy comings and goings are a hallmark of this industry, and teachers who staunchly think otherwise need, shall we say, firm correction.)

##

End note. “Leftovers” is a category (of which this is the fourth installment, with the previous three on my other blog), similar to my old one (on this blog) of “Pentimento pause,” which covers returning to previous entries for follow-up, whether the points are important or less so.