Friday, January 20, 2017

Scrapbook Baubles*: Scenes from a presidential inauguration, January 1981

36 years ago already…

*For an explanation of this heading, see the asterisked note in this entry on my other blog.

[Edit 1/25/17.]

Keeping it simple:

This set of three pictures (515 KB file), which were taken by me with a Polaroid camera on a cold January 20, 1981, in Washington, D.C., during my first year at college at George Washington University, shows (upper right) a view from the National Mall near the Capitol building when Ronald Reagan, just having been sworn in, was there giving his inaugural speech (I remember a PA system broadcast the voices [from people on the dais for the swearing-in, which was right in front of the Capitol) across the wider area, but I don’t remember if what he said was audible where I stood);  left-middle, the White House as seen from the south, across the big lawn (and near the so-called Ellipse, if you’ve ever been to D.C.) (I noted on the back of the photo, “Looks like moving vans at the back door”); lower-right, a parade on streets some distance from the Capitol, I don’t remember where (the back of the pic says “Penn[sylvania] Ave[nue],” but that road runs across a good swath of downtown D.C., from about the Capitol west [at a gentle northwest angle, if I recall] to the White House and, northwest, beyond).

Set of two pics (369 KB): left side, obvious in relation to the first set of pics (the slightly different angle from the same basic location I was in is shown by the presence of trees in the pic); and upper-right, as I noted on back of the pic, “MP [military policeman] directing traffic at 15th [Street and] Constitution [Avenue]. The streets between 20th & 15th (the only ones I saw) were completely deserted & had an MP at [each] intersection.”

I didn’t vote for Reagan in either 1980 or 1984.

By the way, the inauguration for Reagan’s second term (in January 1985) was canceled as an outdoors event for the public because it was brutally cold that weekend. He was sworn in somewhere indoors, as I recall.