Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Signpost 2: Showing what’s ahead for late May and early June


I have no lack of blog entries in the works, but these depend, as always, on everyday circumstances in my life, and to some extent on the emotional associations with certain themes determining (1) my willingness to work on them and (2) how suitable or timely I see them to release, with respect to likely audience reactions. In general I try to alternate “significant”/emotionally resonating ones with more-shallow, easy-to-do ones, partly for my own sake. Here is my tentative plan:

A personal-reminiscence piece

The next one to come out is on an Arkansas woodworker (his home state offers some thematic resonances with my Winter’s Bone blog entry) whose instructions for projects I helped get published in 1990-91, but the entry has greater focus on the unlikely editor who was more in charge of this, a young woman who was historically significant (as she may not have appreciated) to my own editing career and who in retrospect poses some useful lessons for today, especially as she was one of the more respectable “learning naifs” I have worked with.

Among “Movie breaks”

Hopefully to come out before the Memorial Day weekend will be two entries, each on a movie that allows easier digestion (during a “let’s hang out” holiday weekend) by readers because the movies lend themselves to shallow enjoyment, appreciation, and relevant discussion. They could be offered under the thematic umbrella, “Heeding the call of the marketing ape” or something like that: The French Connection (1971) and Fatal Attraction (1987).

I also am putting together an entry, which threatens to be too involved (but whose subject inspires this sort of thing), on the documentary Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse (1991), on Francis Ford Coppola and the making of Apocalypse Now (1979). This may seem as if it’s only for fans of Coppola or Apocalypse Now, but actually it has surprising resonance outside those two areas of interest; for example, it lends itself to a discussion of bipolar disorder in the high-level manager of a creative project. This entry most likely won’t come out until after Memorial Day.

Also, I am putting together an entry on a multi-film look at director Martin Scorsese, which is in a pretty formative stage right now, so don’t expect it for a while.

Career-related

Lastly, for those who are “waiting for the other shoe to drop” regarding there being a “Part 2” to my entry “What is editing?,” don’t worry, something is coming down the pike.