Friday, February 12, 2016

Footnote 2 to Getting the Knack/OFAD 8

Yes, there actually was cause to do another footnote: Form 1095-B from the state creeps into my mail


I would not have expected to do a second footnote to my February 10 entry on this blog, but wonders never cease. Yesterday, February 11, I got in the mail no fewer than two statements (labeled as Form 1095-B) from the State of New Jersey which are rather like W-2s or 1099s, generally showing me information useful for, or necessary for, my filing my federal taxes. These particular forms testify to my having had Medicaid coverage, with X’s clunkily plopped into boxes on a sort of calendar showing which months I was covered.

Each of the two statements (which seem to be identical except in how my name is shown) represents a different set of months for 2015: one is from January to May, the other is from June through December. Why the two statements, instead of putting all the info on one, isn’t entirely clear, but one presumable reason is that I had a renewal, for which a form came to me in May (another possible reason is that their different handling of my name means they have two separate records on me, to whatever tax-related purpose).

There is nothing to indicate that my coverage was discontinued for about five weeks in July and early August, as was my belief for many months since then.

Since, when filing my 1040 this season, I filled out Form 8965, implying I did not have coverage part of the year, the astute observer might ask, have I misrepresented my health-insurance situation to the IRS? (It’s an implication of the ACA, potentially very disgusting depending on your politics, that this should even be an issue for the IRS.)

When I filled out my 1040 this year, signing it on February 8, and mailing it on February 9, my firm understanding is that I was not covered by Medicaid from late June through a date in early August. The two blog entries just prior to this one, as corrected and subject to possible future correction, support this. And I have paperwork and other records supporting my situation. No problem if I had to make a legal representation of myself.

Because my tax money amounts do not change with the change in understanding of my ACA status in 2015, I will not file a Form 1040X, which I’ve done (for other, legitimate reasons) in a few past years. If the IRS this year writes me saying “You represented that you had not been covered all year, but our records, from your state, show…,” I can represent that, with the 1040’s requiring you on signing to “declare” that to the best of your “information and belief,” the tax form is correct, it was indeed to the best of my information and belief that my ACA status was as I indicated in the form. If the state has sent me two Forms 1095-B as these are labeled, I did not expect these; I did not get such forms last year. I, of course, keep them in my records, against any future IRS developments.

##

What else could I affirm to the best of my information and belief? Well, let’s present this statement with a special scrubbing in order to have it be acceptable in a family-oriented context: “The **** State of New Jersey, specifically in its **** administration of Medicaid under the **** ACA expansion, is **** less-than-satisfactory, and makes me want to **** on its ****  ****.

“And if Chris Christie were to be asked, ‘Have you ever worked,’ as seems atypical for big-time attorneys, ‘for a trashy small business, to know how such places operate for better or worse?,’ he could answer, possibly to the best of his information and belief, ‘Yes, I have worked for such a business, and it was the **** State of New Jersey.’”