Saturday, April 12, 2014

Movie break: At a crossroads in my hike through Woody’s dense career

[Edits 5/6/14. Edits 5/24/14. Edit 5/28/14. Edits 6/17/14. Edits 7/9/14. Edits 8/18/14.]

Here’s a quickie indication of where I’m going with my Woody Allen reviews.

As I pretty much intended, I have touched on nearly all of his films from his “major phase” of 1977-86 (as defined by my “Director’s dossier” on him, viewable here; and see the list at the end of this entry). In coming entries I will continue to look at his career, but more selectively. I will have some essay-like statements to make about him that are apart from particular films, hopefully in an entry or entries coming very soon.

Films of his I either definitely will review or am likely to review include (and some reviews will be short [and some are already posted]):

Radio Days (1987) (the review is here)
Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) (the review is in Part 1 here and Part 2 here)
Husbands and Wives (1992) (Part 1 of the review is here; Part 2 is here; and Part 3 is here)
Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993) (the review is here)
Bullets Over Broadway (1994) (the review is here)
Mighty Aphrodite (1995) (to come)
Deconstructing Harry (1997) (to come)
Sweet and Lowdown (1999) (my truncated review is here)
The Curse of the Jade Scorpion (2001) (my review is the first half of this)
Hollywood Ending (2002) (my review is the second half of this)
Anything Else (2003) (my review is here)

Match Point (2005) (my review is here)
A few others, as conditions allow


Intermission: Bits by Woody, gathered here like flotsam

Here are a few quotes and other things that relate to the Woody Allen movies I’ve already reviewed, which either would be cumbersome to put with the appropriate review, or which I forgot to include, or which stand well as “afterthoughts.”


Related to Stardust Memories (1980) (see my review here):

Bearing on the issue that the movie wasn’t about himself but was a fictional concoction:

“The audience in the movie was just an exaggerated depiction of what somebody [e.g., the film’s Sandy Bates] who couldn’t appreciate his success might imagine under the pressure of being a hit and yet still being unable to stave off life’s tragedies or have a real love relationship.”

—Allen in Eric Lax, Conversations with Woody Allen (New York: Knopf, 2007), pp. 231-32


Epigraph I wanted to put with my review of Broadway Danny Rose (1984) (see my review here) and neglected to, due to a clumsy error in handling my Word files:

“Not only is he a great agent, but he really gives good meeting.”

—a bit player in Annie Hall (1977), in a scene with Hollywood and music-industry movers, shakers, and miscellaneous others at a party at the mansion of music producer Tony Lacy (played by Paul Simon); yes, I believe the quote is accurate, and it definitely is meant to satirize agent/producer/insider pretenses and lingo

##

Films I’ve already covered:

Sleeper (1973) and Love and Death (1975)

Interiors (1978)

Manhattan (1979)





Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)