Friday, August 16, 2013

On the fly, 3: A bear returns to a favorite breakfast stop



We’re not beating a dead horse, but seeming to find that there would not be an ideal compromise to allow, or live comfortably with, a bear–human “two-state” solution


[This follows up an entry viewable here. Edit 8/18/13.]

On August 2, a bear appeared next-door, got into a garbage can, and left a mess in my yard. This came with my being awoken by the dog next-door (with striking efficiency) barking me out of a sound sleep. The whole set of phenomena shows just how bears insinuate themselves into middle-class life in these Jersey mountains, underscoring how there’s no formula for interrelating with them so that all interests are respected.

I had written a blog entry that day, stirred by the energy inspired by the event: anxiety, leaping into action like a soldier, anger (not simply at neighbors—not much at all, at first): all focused my mind for a quickie, pungent blog entry (an unusually rapid production from inspiration to posting). Then I withdrew it about a couple days later; editorial discretion, you could say. (By the way, there had been no exchange between the neighbors and me about this blog entry.)

Then came Thursday, August 15, and many of the same phenomena occurred. There was alarming dog barking (this time, two dogs—one was a visitor that is more apt to bark at a range of things than the one that usually lives there). But however barking-apt the new dog was, the two (which were both indoors) were in accord in sounding off in line with this simple fact: bears and dogs are natural enemies. Have a bear loom into the area, and Man’s Best Friend is fierce/a little fearful as you rarely see him.

Again, I was deep in sleep. In fact, earlier, I had woken about 4:50 a.m., went to take a pee. Had been dreaming; woke simply at the beckoning of bladder, I think. Wasn’t sure if I’d get back to sleep. And DID get back to sleep; was dreaming again. Suddenly, at about 5:15, the “barking bear-alert siren.” Awake in a snap. Got up…I’m not sure what I did next. Maybe I looked outside (via an upstairs window) to the house next-door at one point. Very dim out; some of their outdoor lights were on.

Back into bed. Felt now it was more futile to think I’d get back to sleep. Heard some sounds at some point like something being dragged around. This wasn’t the rumble, as from plastic, I heard August 2 that was very much able, later, to be associated with the plastic can I later found lying in my yard like a dead soldier.

Eventually I got up again at about 5:40. Went upstairs, looked out. Soon, visible (from my elevated viewpoint) over a fence separating part of my yard from the neighbor’s, I saw a dark, puzzling shape, like a big bush or rock, black. Suspicious, I watched to see if it would move. It did. And eventually it morphed into a more recognizable bruin shape as it headed to the neighbors’ back deck. I called my mother up to see the bear. She came up and looked, somewhat like a rapt fan.

The bear climbed a bit up to the deck…and eventually he brought down a yellow garbage can, the plastic type with the screw-top lid. He put it on its side…and eventually worked to unscrew the top. Years ago, in psychology, I learned about what was called, in the psychology of learning when applied to animals, “insight” as opposed to mere learning by crude operant (or, different, Pavlovian) conditioning. When a monkey sees it can join two sticks together to make a bigger a stick with which to drag a banana into a cage, it is showing insight.

Well, this crude, lumbering bear, a black hulk in the dim morning light, showed a Frankenstein-monster level of insight (“Food! Good!” or whatever Karloff’s fellow croaks out in Bride of Frankenstein, conforming with the director’s requirement to have the creature speak for the first time). I saw the bear’s arm/shank reach, clumsily grabbing onto the side of the lid, as it worked to try turning the lid. How did you like that. It used to be that you heard that the bears bumped and squeezed the can until it popped the lid off, but this oaf actually worked to turn the lid—not with human agility, but with more than squirrel-type dopiness.

Well, when it was lighter out, I eventually went outdoors. Took my pepper spray, to be better safe than sorry (never wanting to give the bear a blast). Went to get the newspapers in the driveway. Walked to where I could see the bear from the street in front, perpendicular to the view I’d had from upstairs in my house. He was like a devoted lump of dark who-knows-what working over the garbage he’d spread on the ground.

I went back to the house, asked my mother if she had film in her disposable camera. Yes, she did. I went back outside, with camera, and this time with baseball bat—I was a bit overloaded between camera and bat in hands, and Mace in pocket…plus I wanted my keys at the ready in case Bruin started locomoting, and I had to hurry back into the house.

I faced the bear, about 75 feet away from it, again from the street as before. Took a picture. It was lighter out, but still not full sunlight. I didn’t know if I’d get a good picture of the bear at all, flash or no flash. But now the flash had agitated the bear (this was hardly what I intended; but knowing how wild animals react to unusual, blunt perceptual stimuli, this made sense). The bear started moving as if he was startled, and would leave his trash breakfast-plate. He moved through a wide parting in the fence into my back yard.

At one point, I tapped the baseball bat hard on the pavement of the road, which I don’t think made as arresting a noise as I could have made if I’d clapped my hands hard. (The bat was more for relatively mano-a-mano emergency self-protection. I’ve availed myself of it before as a precautionary measure in similar situations, though never had to use it.)

The bear rearranged his position in the backyard, still about 75 feet away from me, as if he would head toward me. I moved more toward the back door of my house, toward the opposite end of the yard from where he was; this, by the way, was the same door I’d used as mentioned in the blog entry of late July. The bear was now out of my range of sight, since my house was between me and him…and as I moved toward the back door, I wasn’t sure but what he would appear from around the back of my house, toward the end where the back door was. I moved firmly but not in a hectic rush, getting keys out, managing the clutter in my hands (bat and camera).

Got into the house, door locked, and looked outside the windows of the sunporch, which the back door opens into. The furry lummox was trundling along leisurely behind the house, in the basic direction I’d been leery he might move in, toward the side yard. He looked about 375 pounds, not a yearling. He had a weird scuffed/rumpled look at his head, and his right ear seemed folded or damaged. He didn’t appear to have tags, but I wonder if he’d been tagged on his right ear, and had somehow ripped the tag off (injuring his ear in the process). I am not sure if he was not the same one that had appeared either in late July or August 2 (on those dates, there were probably two different bears).

When he headed toward the side yard, his rump was facing me as I looked out from the sunporch. He seemed to have a wobbly gait, as if he was old or a little infirm, but maybe I had this impression because I had never watched a bear walk from behind this close before, so I was unfamiliar with the look of the movement. He seemed to have a shaky writhe as he moved. Bears (somewhat like gorillas) are narrower in their rump areas than their chest/front-end areas suggest, and also….

Let me see. There are two kinds of animal styles of four-legged walking, based on whether the two legs on the same side are going in the same direction or are going in the opposite direction. In the opposite-direction style, the right side may have front leg stepping back and rear leg stepping forward, while at the same time, on the left side, front leg is forward while rear leg is back. And those positions switch in rhythm, as the animal walks. One style is called “pacing” (or the animals are called “pacers”—I think this is the style with the legs on one side stepping in the same direction—giraffes walk this way), and the other style is called something else, I forget what.

Anyway, a bear walks with the legs on the one side going in opposite directions (not like giraffes). Cats do this too. When you see a cat walk this way, it can seem to have a mincing saunter. Well, a bear being so large, and with its tail end rather narrow, looks odd from behind as it seems to writhe along with legs going in this opposite-direction style. This is a cumbersome way to describe how this beast was walking on August 15, looking like a wonder, but also making me a bit puzzled as to whether it was sick.

It moved on across the side yard, turning by about 60 degrees to the side facing the road in front. In the dim-ish light, it was set off against light wood chips all over the ground, and I called to my mother who was inside the house—she was in the kitchen, feet away, but with inner door closed between us—to look outside in the side yard; the bear was there. For some reason, she headed toward the front of the house, at an angle where she wouldn’t see it. She looked out and, as I glimpsed her, she showed she couldn’t see it. Frustrated about her move, I told her it was now heading to Frank’s, a house across the street….

##

Long story short, I went outside a few more times, after the bear had moved out of view, and peered around warily; never saw it again. However, I took my pepper spray to the destination I had outside the house, amid preparations for my day before I headed out on the road.

The garbage can that we’d seen the bear lift off the back deck lay sideways, garbage strewn near it, unsightly in the neighbors’ backyard. The female owner had earlier left for the day. The other male regular-worker left a while after 6 a.m., I think, and this time I never even saw him outside, meaning there was that much less a chance we’d cross paths.

Ultimately, probably a young son of the household would have to deal with the mess. (This seems to have happened, as I found when I got home several hours later, and found the mess cleaned up, without any of the working adults' cars back yet.)

By the way, in the morning, I inspected my backyard, well after the bear had passed through. Wanted to see if I would find some bear scats, so often a calling card left by a bruin you had seen pass through. I found some mounds of weird orange stuff right next to a tree where I’d seen the bear, from my safe position 75 feet away, after it had passed into my yard. It was hard to tell which end of the bear it had come out of. It looked a bit like pumpkin mush, complete with seeds, or maybe some cooked squash or who knows what else, with seeds or such in it. (It was a classic variation on what, as a habitual expression of hers, my mother describes as “shall I or did I?” [See End note.]) If the bear had barfed it up, by the looks of it I wouldn’t have blamed him, but anyway, most carefully assessing, I think he had crapped this out. The point, as I’ve said before: Bears so often take a country dump when they are momentarily scared by humans.

(Rather vexingly to me when I got home, when I talked about the mound of scats to my mother, she said she hadn’t seen it. She had walked in the backyard… I was almost indignant. How could she miss it? She who, in the recent past, was the one to diligently go out and remove bear shit from the lawn with a shovel. Eventually, after dinner, I took her outside and pointed it out to her, at the base of a tree. It’s orangey-yellow color made it a little hard to spot, but her having missed it the first time suggests to me how her vision is failing. And even when we stood in front of it, I had to work to get her to recognize it on the ground. Then, once she could see it, it made enough of an impression that her assessment was that it was shit rather than puke, too.)

If bears wanted a “two-state” solution to the problem of Jerseyans coexisting with them, this is one of the things we’d be apt to become familiar with.

What comes next in my particular bear saga is anybody’s guess.


End note.

This does not mean that my mother would consider eating excrement. Her expression "shall I or did I?," meant as a noun phrase that expresses an evaluation and a sense of disgust and confusion, would normally be used in situations such as, in looking at a plate of something that could equally be identified from a certain perspective as chicken a la king or as puke, her saying, "That looks like 'shall I or did I?'" That would be a classic example of what the expression means. Applying it to a pile of bear scats, as I did, is merely to say you don't know what the stuff is at first, while it also is a bit disgusting; you wonder which end of the bear did it come out of? This plus the fact that it was orangey really sealed the notion of describing it as a "classic variation on... 'shall I or did I?'"