Monday, June 10, 2013

Sons of Joyce, Part 3 of 3: A Talk with William H. Gass in 1987, subpart A

(Years Prior to Agent-Required Trade-Book Publishing, and the Current Market Focus Skewing to Genre Material)

[Edit 6/24/13.]

This entry appears in a first subpart on my other blog. The second subpart appears on this blog; it is in two halves on June 24.

Because of the academically oriented and rather complex story that became subpart A, it seemed more suitable to put it on my more “select tastes” blog.

Subsections in the first subpart are:
Gass as a “late arrival” among “Sons of Joyce”
My truncated philosophy career: along with its original aims, its practical consequences
Pursuing creative writing, as my true love, while becoming a professor was a more practical choice for me
WU’s philosophy program: a very mixed set of exponents of different schools of thought
A constellation of professors in which one could appreciate being in the minority