Friday, April 5, 2013

Pentimento pause 1: A note on James Marcia to add to my review of Gran Torino (2008)

When societal changes may make some of us sing along with John Lennon, “Nobody told me there’d be days like these,” we might take solace in psychological research that reflects the “regular” alternative patterns to a sense of one’s life history regarding sense of time

[See here for the review of Gran Torino from last September.]


When I first mentioned the “Pentimento pause” category (see here, #5), I said it would encompass occasional little updates to, or assessments of, previous blog entries. Originally the idea seemed largely to be to allow second-guessing of myself or revising a previous position, but there was nothing to stop the category from offering important information that supplements previous posts, leaving the original posts as they are.

This first entry is to offer some material related to psychologist James Marcia that I had wanted to offer last year but did not have at hand at the time.

James Marcia, a psychological theorist, I mentioned as having theories on a person’s sense of time as shaped by the presence or absence of past life struggles in his or her personal history. As I also said in the Gran Torino post, Marcia is a theorist on whom I have just cursory knowledge (who seems to have been a theoretic disciple of Erik Erikson, on whom I know more). Marcia theorized about four general “states of being” (my slightly vague ad hoc phrase, not his) in relation to how one stood regarding a sense of time related to life history. These states are shaped by how one had previously worked through problems in life, and they are: foreclosure, identity diffusion, moratorium, and identity achievement.

One key source for my understanding of this was a schematic New York Times explanation, using a figure involving a drawing of an hourglass, from about 1986. I couldn’t find it last September, but found it recently. I was careless enough when I cut out the clip that I didn’t include the date with it (not my usual practice).

The headline for the figure is “How Sense of Identity Influences Time Orientation.”

In a region of the figure labeled with “focus on past,” the type of mentality labeled “Diffusion” is defined with “People without a sense of identity or crisis about it emphasize the past most and the future least.”

A little lower in the same region is “Moratorium,” defined with “People in the throes of doubt about their identity see themselves more in their pasts than in their future.”

In the middle of the figure is the label “focus on present,” where a long statement is, “People who can imagine themselves far in the future have a very different sense of life and its possibilities than people who live only for the moment or who concentrate on the past, according to new research on time orientation.”

In a region labeled “focus on future,” there is the category “Achievement,” defined with “People who achieved identity through crisis have the most balanced sense of time.”

At the bottom is “Foreclosure,” defined with “People who achieved identity without crisis stress the future more than the past.”