Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A change in plans: No GLG story for you!

[This relates to this signpost entry of last December. Edit 5/30/14. Update 5/31/14: For a substantive follow-up to this entry, see here.]

I have decided to put the mini-series on the placement firm that I had given the abbreviation GLG, into a bin labeled “Some assembly required.” What this means is that I will not post a series on it specifically, for the foreseeable future.

The story is at least as interesting as many of the other media stories reflecting “dark stuff in the back room” that I have put on my blogs, and it is relevant to one or more of the “JCP” and “RVT” projects mentioned at the start of “Dollars & sense, …Part 1.” But pending those projects, the only way I would be apt to present the GLG story is to plop down, almost unreconstructed, some of the documentation that pertained to the complaint I started pursuing with the state Department of Labor in spring 2007, concerning GLG’s being weeks, then months, behind in having its paychecks able to be cashed. (They bounced otherwise. And for me, thousands of dollars in pay was outstanding. Other employees of GLG got the same treatment, and at least one former employee of GLG started suing it, leading one principal to pay me through cashier’s checks…while he was shielding from the lawsuit what money he could get to pay employees.)

This would mean indications of the many little items of evidence (for instance, a three-page list I have a copy of, a sort of cover sheet listing documents that I sent to the state, is quite illustrative of the nature of the problem, as well as of how unprecedented it was for me, but it may suggest what a tedious process the complaint was, along with all else).

This all could be said to comprise—making the larger story look like—the kind of “pile of leaves” that would be interesting to investigators but not to the more casually interested members of my audience. In 2007, it was interesting stuff to deal with in the thick of resolving a thorny matter of a workplace collapse, but a retrospective traipse through it doesn’t make for romantic reading, so to speak.

Some might also say, it’s old news, so why bother? But it figures in a years-long recent history of changes in the climate and practices of certain “arcane” sectors of the media world in New Jersey that it would be foolish to ignore.

And perhaps the former principals of GLG, if they were aware of this planned mini-series, would feel it was just as well I didn’t post a fuller version of the story on my blog.